How do you rate composition? For me, there are five components that form a final rating of musical composition:
- First, is the melody – i.e. the degree to which the main melody of the song is constructed from a combination of notes.
- Second is the harmonies ie. how each instrument contributes in creating sounds and notes.
- Third is the complexity of the arrangement i.e. the degree in which the instrument (including vocal) being played by the musicians and how they generate a piece of music stream or segment of the music.
- Fourth is change of style i.e. how the style changes in a song which includes tempo changes and/ or heavy or soft musical sounds.
- The last one (fifth) is the structural integrity i.e. the degree to which all musical segments, including changes of style, form a cohesiveness of the music as a whole from start to end. The five components are very fundamental for me to assess my rating towards the music, especially progressive music.